nature
 
historic
 
water
 
theme

History&culture

A Peek into the History

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Rogaska_skozi_cas/528&width=494&height=267The area of Rogaška Slatina was already know by Celts and Romans, which is proven by the excavations and the Roman road, which led past Lemberg and Rogatec from Celeia to Petovium. A bronze roman needle with six heads was found in the direct proximity of the spring Tempel, and some Celtic coins in the nearby Kostrivnica.

The healing powers of water were known even before the written mention in the year 1572 by many locals and also travellers, who spread the news about the magical healing powers of the water throughout Štajerska and further on. Today it is said by many, that the springs were discovered by a Croatian ban Peter Zrinjski, one of the most powerful land owners in Europe at the time. In the year 1665 he was suppose to be hunting in the area of Rogaška Slatina. He suffered from kidney failure so the local farmers told him to drink from the spring in the forest, near the Church of St. Cross. Zrinjski’s health miraculously improved and along with it brought fame to the so called saint-cross mineral water. 

Fun fact: The legend of the creation of the Rogaška springs is written and engraved in copper in a German book Roitschocrene from the year 1687. The image in the picture shows the God Apollo telling Pegasus to hit the ground near Rogatec and the church of St. Cross with his hoof and with that open Roitschocrene, the springs of Rogaška. The story resembles a legend from the Greek mythology, where Pegasus by hitting the ground with his hoof opened the spring of Hippocrene. But in our legend, Apollo says: “Here where you stand there is a source of health and a true power of God. Instead of drinking from the Hipocrene, drink from the Roitschocrene spring which lies before you.”

Source: TIC Rogaška Slatina

Ana's Mansion

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Prireditve/Anin_dvor/1328In the newly constructed facility with a floor area of 1,250m² one can experience the history of Rogaška Slatina by passing through different thematic areas and learn about its main attraction today.The “Glasswork collection” leads us through the stages of production of crystal glass combined with light, sound and temperature effects. The “Graphics collection” offers an ingenious solution for archiving, especially for exhibiting the graphic collection of the Swiss Kurt Mueller, a long-time visitor of the health resort, who donated his collection to the Rogaška health centre.

Source: TIC Rogaška Slatina

St. Ana chapel

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/544&width=225&height=300The chapel was built in the year 1804 and is dedicated to St. Ana, the protector of the Healing-centre. The chapel has neo-Romanic features and the plans for it were made in Graz. It is a single nave building with a rectangular absido. The altar picture of St. Mary with the child and St. Ana was painted in the year 1686 by the baroque painter Hans Adam Weissenkirchner of Štajerska. The famous architect Jože Plečnik remodelled it in the year 1926. Interesting is, that the county holiday falls exactly on the day of St. Ana (26th of July), who as a saint reflects the worldly attitude toward health. Access: At the foot of the Ivan’s hill (behind the building of the Medical centre).

The statue of Count Ferdinand Attems

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/546&width=225&height=300The bust of count Ferdinand Attems (1746-1820), provincial governor of Štajerska, the founder of the Provincial Health resort in 1803, was put on the lookout point above today’s Medical centre in 1828. The author is a sculptor Leopold Kisling from Vienna. Access: the monument today stands at the foot of the hill next to the Hotel Aleksander

Monument of St. Janez Nepomuk

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/622&width=225&height=300The statue of the saint was build after finishing the arrangement works around the springs in1723 by the Society of Vienna’s pharmacists. As thanks they were given a concession for selling the mineral water by the Emperor. The monument was first located next to the pavillion Tempel and was moved after the Second World War to its current location. Access: The foot of Ivan’s hill (next to the St. Ana chapel).

Mineral water drinking hall

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/547&width=451&height=300In a round building you can try the healing waters Tempel, Styria and Donat, which based on the content of magnesium stays still today at the top of natural mineral waters of Europe. The healing mineral water, which comes from the depth of 550 meters / 1804,5 feet, has due to its unique mineral content proven effective with many diseases, stress and other malfunctions of the organism. Access: Medical centre.

Health centre (currently Grand Hotel Rogaška)

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/549&width=229&height=300Among the artistic monuments of Rogaška Slatina the most representative and also the most famous is the ex Health centre, built in classicistic style. The first Health centre was built in 1823. Great interest in accommodations and treatments in Rogaška Slatina has caused a need for new urban design and the construction of a second Health centre, the construction of which took as long as 15 years (1844-1859). In August of 1910 The Health-centre was illuminated in order to prepare it for the celebration in honour of the birthday of Franz Jožef 1st. The place got caught on fire, which almost completely ruined the second Health centre. Immediately after the fire, the construction of the third Health centre was started. It was opened in1912 and a crest of Štajerska was put onto its facade. Access: Health resort.

Old administrative building

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/550&width=496&height=330The Old administrative building is the oldest building in Rogaška Slatina. We can recognise it in the oldest picture of Rogaška Slatina, which was drawn by Karel Russ in 1810. The old directory, where the Jemšek homestead with a restaurant used to stand, was built in 1805-06 by land estates, who had taken over the Spa resort. In it was a directory with the manager (Amtshaus), an apartment of the official doctor and also meant to host the finest guests (The first doctor of Rogaška Slatina, Johann Fröhlich, hosted in it the archduke Ivan, who has in that same place written the memoirs of Rogaška Slatina). In the oldest building a Graphical museum had its place.

Fun fact: The weather house was supposed to be built in 1926 and is situated in the Spa park. On it one can see the wooden reliefs, on the back of which it is written: When drinking mineral water one strengthens his health. In the park she and he met and showed their affection with a kiss. Love was ignited, emotions were speaking. She is sitting in the park all alone once more and heals her wounds with mineral water her wreath has shrivelled. Rainy days are long and lonely.

Source: TIC Rogaška Slatina

Parish church of St. Cross, Rogaška Slatina

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/617&width=153&height=229On the same spot, where a small Roman church stood , and was first mentioned in 1304, today’s neo-Romanic parish church was built in 1866. The cornerstone for the new church was blessed by bishop Slomšek, who encouraged the construction of the church very much. The new church was blessed by prince-bishop Jakob Maksimilian Stepišnik on October 16th, 1964. The guests of the Spa resort Rogaška Slatina (bishops Strossmayer and Slomšek) and the locals also helped with the construction. The plans for the church were made by Joseph Shöble from Graz. The layout of the church is in shape of a cross. Inside the church there are three altars, the main altar of St. Cross and the two side altars, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Joseph. The old church was demolished even before the construction of the new one. Its inventory, except for the organ and monstrance, was not preserved.

The church of Mary the ascended in Tržišče

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/563Late-gothic church is furnished with baroque inventory. They named it Mary of the Wishes, because Mary of Tržišče is in the old guides described as recommended for heart problems. The big altar is a masterpiece of the workshop Mersi from Rogatec. The side altars also belong among the so called golden altars, which prove that almost all churches in the area of Rogaška Slatina are a sign of the local creativity.  The Church of St. Mary in Tržišče is an ending point to almost a 200-year old footpath, the most popular footpath of the Healing-centre visitors, which leads from the heart of the Healing-centre over Janina to a lonely little hill of the roman church.

The Church of St. Mohor in Fortunat, Male Rodne

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/628A late-gothic church in the small village of Male Rodne south from Rogaška Slatina was built at the end of the 15th century. Experts claim that it is famous basically because of its golden altar, which is one of the most beautiful in Slovenia. The main altar from the year 1691 belongs to a series of gilded altars, typical for Alpine and pre-Alpine lands.

Source: TIC Rogaška Slatina

Junež Homestead

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/555&width=399&height=250Junež Homestead, a protected monument – ethnographic outdoor museum extents over an outbuilding, partly closed double hayrack, a beehive and a renovated old farmhouse with a black kitchen from the 19th century with the original autochthonous furniture and inventory from that time. The house was inhabited until the beginning of the 1980s and it is the only one of its kind in the near proximity of the Spa resort Rogaška Slatina. Here you can taste the traditional culinary delicacies and get familiar with traditions and habits of Rogaška Slatina.

The King’s spring

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/633The village Kostrivnica is not known by many people for its healing mineral waters, which were known even by the Celts, which is proven by a Celtic broche that was found during cleaning of one of the wells. Currently the broche is in a museum in Graz. From the spring that was last renovated in the far year of 1857 and is today enclosed by a beautiful octagonal pavilion, you can pour the healing water with the help of the original mechanical pump from the 19th century.

Next to it stands a double hayrack, which is used for different social events. In it one can get a look at the collection of old farm tools. The Ignacij spring, last renovated in 1843, keeps them company. Both springs are renovated in the same style as they were originally built. Speciality: the water from the King’s spring next to the metabolism also benefits the skin (some even compare it to the water Vichy).

Calska gorca

http://www.rogaska-tourism.com/cms/controls/warehousehandler.ashx?path=/Slike/Vsebina/Naravne_in_kulturne_danosti/559&width=421&height=300On the wide wine-making territory Calska gorca presents one of the rare wine cottages of rich design and appearance and still has many elements preserved, which tell the story of the content and social status of the owners. The basic purpose of the renovation was the preservation of the cultural monument and to improve the life style of the countryside community, forming a or appealing village surroundings as a living space the development of other activities – especially tourism, and at the same time providing the conditions for promotion and other activities of the wine-making society, other societies and the local economy and community. Calska gorca was in 2000 declared by order of the community of Rogaška Slatina a cultural monument.

Source: TIC Rogaška Slatina

 

Destination suggestions

Top 3 destinations
1/3
Nova Gorica
Slovenia
Bled
Slovenia
Triglav National Park
Slovenia