Church of the Virgin Mary and St. Nicholas in Selo (THE ROMANESQUE ROTUNDA)
The small round church in the village of Selo amidst the hills of Goričko is ascribed a prominent place among at the artistic and sacred monuments of Prekmurje. According to legend, the church originally belonged to the Knights Templar. In addition to its extraordinary Romanesque architecture, two layers of wall paintings are preserved in the rotunda, making it a site of transregional significance. It is estimated that the Rotunda was built some time during the first half of the 13th century (1205 – 1235).
Because of the architectural characteristics of the rotunda, it is believed that the preserved structure is part of the remains of a medieval edifice. 'The Journey and the Homage to the King by the Three Wise Men' is the only preserved mural composition. It is believed that it dates back to the 1330s. An artistic feel is also conveyed by the fresco depiction of the 'Passion of the Christ' from approx. 1400.
A fun fact for travellers: Entering the rotunda symbolises the return of Christ to Jerusalem. To find out why, you are kindly invited to visit the rotunda.
Church of the Ascension in Bogojina (Plečnik's Church)
The church in Bogojina (1924 – 1927) – designed by the architect Jože Plečnik, represents one of the most modern sacral buildings in Europe. The state-of-the-art architecture where the 'old' perfectly overlaps with the ‘new’ has been crafted to bond with this particular patch of Prekmuje land. When locals speak about this snow-white structure, they affectionately refer to it as the "white dove". The striking rotund bell tower, a most enticing sight, is a particularly original feature of the church. An extraordinary interior attribute is the unique ceiling adorned with pottery and ceramics.
Plečnik's masterpiece in Bogojina conveys an atmosphere of peace, contemplation, and composure. Plečnik approached the endeavour with due reverence for the ancestors and the historic region of Prekmurje, which became very dear to him. He integrated the building tradition of the region and incorporated elements of early Christian architecture (stone pillars and a wooden horizontal ceiling).
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Jesus the Good Shepherd in Moravske Toplice
Once upon a time, Moravske Toplice was known as simply Moravci. The autonomous Evangelical Lutheran congregation was founded in the village in 1893. After World War II, the church – or the mansion rather which had once served as the holy haven of the Evangelical Lutheran congregation, was in such a poor state that they decided to demolish the derelict building and replace it with a completely new house of worship. With gracious assistance from the Swedish Church, the endeavour was a complete success. The new church was blessed and dedicated in 1962. The neo-Gothic church tower has become a piece of local history. It was built in 1925. The regular pastor of the church is Geža Erniša, M.A., The Most Reverend Bishop of the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Slovenia.
Church of the Virgin Mary and St. Church (Martjanci)
The Gothic church from the 14th century; named after St. Martin, the patron Saint of the parish and the village; was erected and painted by Johannes Aquila from Gornja Radgona. His frescoes adorn the magnificent presbytery. The artist'sdepiction of himself – one of the oldest self-portraits in the history of Europeanart – is also preserved in this house of God.
The site is of transregional significance, particularly due to the magnificent frescoes. During the latter centuries, the parish church has been marked by a tumultuous and rich history. Therefore, it is regarded as a majestic monument to the pristine artistic identity of the centuries passed.
The St. Benedict Catholic Church in Goričko, Prekmurje
Beckons to the faithful from three bordering nations: The Hungarians, the Austrians, and the native Slovenians. The 'Benedički breg' hill was named after the Benedictine monastic order, which had presumably once inhabited a monastery in this very area. It can be stated with certainty that a church had been built in Sv. Benedikt (St. Benedict) in Kančevci as early as the 11th and the 12th century. The current church, which was subject to major renovations in 1896, may very well stand on the remains of the ancient church mentioned in local historical documents. The remains of a one-meter-wide brick wall, which in part proceeds through the current church in Kančevci, could represent the ruins of the foundations of the north wall of the ancient church or abbey. The tombs from the late medieval period that were found in the nave are presumed to be the remains of a former cemetery. Thus, the current church literally stands on an ancient burial site.
Archaeological excavations of the nave and the apse of the church in Kanečvci are still in progress. In addition to the medieval burial site, excavations have also led to the discovery of silver coins (pieces of silver) from the 16th and 17 century, fragments of medieval ceramics and glass, and iron nails.
Source: TIC Moravske Toplice
Fun fact: Bogojina, Church of the Ascension
– The church in Bogojina is one of the most interesting examples of architecture
of the first half of the 20th century and the most famous sanctuary of Prekmurje. It is located on the slope of a rise above the settlement of Bogojina.