History&culture

Development

Štanjel is one of the oldest settlements in the Karst Region, known for its old village centre. It was named after the patron saint of the church, Saint Daniel. Due to its strategic location, the hill was already populated in prehistoric times and was fortified in antiquity. The first written mention of the area dates back to 1402. The characteristic defensive wall from the 15th century protected the inhabitants during the Turkish invasions.

The settlement reached the peak of its development in the 16th and 17th centuries, as most of the architectural features of the buildings originate from this period. Between the two world wars, the architect and then mayor of Štanjel Max Fabiani left his mark here. During World War II, the settlement was partly destroyed by fire and the castle was heavily damaged. The revitalization of the village centre started in the 1960s and has continued to this day. After World War II, a new part of the settlement developed on a plane below the old village centre.

Source: TIC Štanjel

Castle

http://stanjel.eu/mma/%C5%A0tanjel%20no%C4%8Dna/2014022820313864/mid/The Štanjel castle was built in the Middle Ages and was the property of the Counts of Gorizia. After their extinction, it became the property of the Habsburg family in 1500. The Habsburgs handed it over to the Counts of Cobenzl, who gave it the present Renaissance appearance and extended it towards the centre of the settlement. During World War I, the castle served as a military hospital. In the period between the two World Wars, the architect and mayor Max Fabiani transformed it into the municipality seat; it also included a school and a kindergarten. The castle was severely damaged during World War II.

Entrance Tower

http://stanjel.eu/mma/vhodni_stopl01/2014021015185294/mid/The main entrance to the fortified part of the settlement used to be a part of the defensive wall. The monumental portal bears the coat-of-arms of the Counts of Cobenzl.

Castle Courtyard

http://www.lipica.org/en/imagelib/magnify/default/slike/izleti/stanjel-ok.jpgYou enter the castle courtyard through a Baroque portal bearing the coat-of-arms of the Counts of Cobenzl. The most outstanding element of the courtyard is a staircase connecting the two levels and a castle fountain with the engraved year 1694.

Square Tower

http://stanjel.eu/mma/Kvadratni%20stolp/2014022821210494/mid/The square tower used to serve as a castle chapel, as evidenced by semi-circular windows on the first floor and a graphic in the Church of St Daniel. Today, the tower hosts a permanent exhibition on the life and work of the architect Max Fabiani.

Tower of Kobdilj

http://stanjel.eu/mma/kobdiljski_stolp01/2014021014464860/crop/lead/The Tower of Kobdilj (Stolp na vratih) used to guard the access to Štanjel from the Vipava Valley. In the 1930s, the architect Max Fabiani transformed it into a summer dining room, which was a part of Ferrari’s villa. The tower was partly demolished during World War II.

Source: TIC Štanjel

Spacal gallery

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Grad_%C5%A0tanjel.JPG/1024px-Grad_%C5%A0tanjel.JPGLojze Spacal (1907–2000), one of the most prominent Slovenian artists in the post-war period, is best known for his graphic work. He was born in Trieste where he also lived and worked. He is buried in Škrbina, a nearby village where one of his studios was situated.

Source: TIC Štanjel

Church of St Daniel

http://stanjel.eu/mma/cerkev_svDaniel02/2014021216222599/crop/lead/The Church of St Daniel was built in the mid-15th century and is one of the most important monuments of Gothic architecture in the Karst Regio. It took on its present Baroque appearance in the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1609, the lemon-shaped bell tower was added to the church, giving the silhouette of the settlement a distinctive appearance.

Source: TIC Štanjel

Gledanica

http://stanjel.eu/mma/gledanica01/2014021014581040/crop/pointsLead/Štanjel Hill or Turn lies on the edge that separates the Karst Plateau and the Vipava Valley. Therefore, it used to be an important strategic observation and control point. There are the remains of a Roman fort here. Since they carry the local name Gledanica (from a Slovenian verb “gledati” that means “to watch”), it is very likely that it was later used as an observation and signal tower as well.

Source: TIC Štanjel

Debela griža

http://stanjel.eu/mma/debela%20gri%C5%BEa/2014022713561299/crop/pointsLead/The low-lying prehistoric hill fort Debela Griža nearby the village Volčji Grad is the ruins of once powerfully fortified ring dating from Bronze and Iron Ages. It protected the settlement within, or may have offered a place of refuge to the inhabitants of the time in the event of attack. It was erected on a barely perceptible rise and is notable among hill forts for its shape, size and extent of preservation. Local residents call the place Debela Griža since the term »griža« in the local dialect means a pile of stones and the place where the hill fort lies is called »Ozidje« (surrounding wall).

The stone embankment is folded into one wall, and in three places, at both entrances, into a double wall with and exterior circumference of about 850 meters and an interior one of 680 meters. Altogether there are 1100 meters of wall. Depending on the natural conditions and the shape of the terrain, the wall varies in height from two to seven meters, and was likely even higher during the time of the settlement. The ruins visible today extend from 5 to 15 meters in width and show traces of the original step-like construction throughout their length. The total volume of stone used for the building of the structure is more than 60000 cubic meters.

Source: Burger

Military Cemetery

http://stanjel.eu/mma/Voja%C5%A1ko%20pokopali%C5%A1%C4%8De/2014022714223375/crop/pointsLead/Austro-Hungarian soldiers of various nationalities, killed in the Battles of Isonzo, are buried in the military cemetery from World War I. A stone monument at the cemetery also dates back to this period.

Source: TIC Štanjel

Church of Saint Gregory & the Tomb of the Fabiani Family

http://stanjel.eu/mma/cerkev/2014022715211362/crop/pointsLead/The late Gothic Church of St Gregory, built between 1463 and 1464, is located in the middle of a walled cemetery above Kobdilj. Beside the church is the tomb of the Fabiani family. The relief of a head on the exterior of the old presbytery depicts the legend of a shepherd and a snake, which wrapped itself around his neck while he was asleep.

Source: TIC Štanjel

The Succursal Church of St. Giles

http://stanjel.eu/mma/cerkev%20sveto/2014022715315979/crop/pointsLead/The Succursal Church of St. Giles (Sveti Tilh in the local dialect) in the centre of the village (Briteh) belongs to the Parish of Komen. The church is listed among the most important monuments of sacral architecture on Slovene soil. It is unique because of the octagonal shape of its nave built in 1576 which is covered by an umbrella roof construction supported by just one column (which in the past was wooden).

The interior got its present-day appearance during the Baroque period when the main presbytery was added and the altars were made. The main altar originates from a subsidiary church in Gorizia/Gorica and it was, at least partially, made by Angelo Putti (Pozzo), designer of the doorway for the Ljubljana theological seminary. The statue of St. Giles is older. The side altars are dedicated to St. John Nepomucene and St. Janez Nepomuk (the altar piece was made by A. Parolli) and to St. Jeremy (altar piece made by J.M. Lichtenreit). The altar of St. Francis Xavier stands on the former main presbytery which is of Gothic origins. On the western part an independent belltower bearing the year 1599 once stood, but it was later connected to the church building by means of an arch.  

Source: slovenia.info


Fun fact: The Karst people always had to cope with the problem of the shortage of drinking water. A proof for that is also Stanjel with its numerous stone wells built in the squares. Very interesting is also the Romanic or Karst House with its ethnological collection.

Source: slovenia.info

 

Destination suggestions

Top 3 destinations
1/3
Nova Gorica
Slovenia
Bled
Slovenia
Triglav National Park
Slovenia