History and culture
Between Nova Gorica (Slovenia) and Gorica (Italy) there is a 143 m hill on which stands the Church of the Annunciation Mary and Franciscan Monastery. The pilgrimage place is rich in history and treasures of the past.
In the famous library of the Franciscan monastery - Škrabčeva knjižnica - several incunabula and one piece of the Bohorič Grammar Book can be seen.
In the former garden of the monastery, at the southern fasade of the Kostanjevica monastery, there is a collection of Bourbon roses.
In the crypt under the Kostanjevica Church there lie the mortal remains of the last members of the French dynasty of Bourbon
, among these also the last King of France, Charles X and his son, the Duke of Angulem
In May 2004, in the former garden of the monastery, at the southern fasade of the Kostanjevica monastery near Nova Gorica, there was opened for the public a collection of Bourbon roses. It is one of the biggest and most complete collections of Bourbon roses in the world. In May and June there are thousands of them in bloom.
At the moment over 80 different species of this old group of roses, cultivated and grown by many collectors and enthusiasts all over the world, is known. Gradually the collection will become even bigger.
On a hill with a view on the edge of Nova Gorica stands a renovated Renaissance fortress. The small, two-storey Renaissance castle was built before the end of the 16th century on the site of the older castle of Henrick Dornberg from the 13th century
It was named after its owner, Ivan Marija Coronini, who was given the title "von Cronberg" and the power that went along with it in 1609. The manor is a typical Renaissance building with a square ground plan and corner towers. The castle was severely damaged in both wars, but it was renovated both times. Since 1954 it has been housing the Gorica Museum with a rich collection of paintings, a cultural and historical collection, and rooms for occasional exhibitions.
Sveta Gora is an important sacred place with a rich pilgrimage tradition. It is situated at the junction of the Vipava and Soča Valley at the transition of the Gorica Plain into the Friuli Plain. With its height of 682m above the sea level it offers a magnificent view of the Julian Alps, the Trnovo Forest, the Karst up to the sea, and to Brda and the Friuli Plain, the Carnic Alps and the Dolomites to the west.
The first sanctuary of Sveta Gora was mentioned in early sources from the Middle Ages dating from 1368, 1376, 1382 and 1383, and there is more information about another Church on Sveta Gora which was built between 1514 and 1544. This is the period when the legend of the St. Mary’s apparitions to Urška Ferligoj from the nearby settlement Grgar was created. This gave encouragement to numerous pilgrimages from all of the nearby countries.
The stone railed bridge in Solkan
Solkan bridge is the most prominent bridge on the Bohinj Railway route between Jesenice and Gorica, and one of the most famous bridges in Slovenia. According to the known data, the bridge has the longest stone arch spanning over a river in the world and the longest stone arch among all railway bridges.
The span of the main arch is 85 m. Rudolf Jaussner drew the plans for the bridge, and Leopold Orley directed its construction. The length of the whole object is 220 m. The bridge was under construction for two years, from spring 1904 until December 1905. The work was hindered mainly by the Soča River, which rose several times. For the main arch, they needed 4533 exactly fitted stones of limestone.
Sabotin - Peace Park
Sabotin - Peace Park is a cross-border project with an overall objective to diversify tourist offer in the area of the Goriška (Gorizia region) through the promotion of peace.
The idea of establishing a peace park on Sabotin is based on the turmoil of World War I in the Posočje/Isonzo, claiming many casualties among soldiers and the civil population. Today the international border between Slovenia and Italy runs along Sabotin's ridge.
Sabotin is an exceptional mountain, rich in natural, historical, and cultural heritage sites.
The municipal administrations of the towns of Gorizia and Nova Gorica decided to honour the entry of Slovenia into the European Union in a very special way, not with a common plaque or monument, but with a new joint square in front of the Nova Gorica Railway station.
The area in front of the Nova Gorica Railway station, the former Northern Railway station of the town of Gorica (Gorizia), is the most urbanized spot where the two towns come into contact. The by the architect Max Fabiani monumentally designed urbane composition of buildings and the streets that end radially in the square, were many years divided by the border line in two. The opportunity arised to unite this urbane site once again. Among the diverse propositions of the architects from Gorica (Gorizia) and Nova Gorica, the two municipal administrations have selected the solution suggested by the architect Romano Schnabl from Gorizia. The removal of the border fence and the new set-up of the square over the border line has united and linked together the joint area of both towns, and with the installation of the huge circular mosaic in the centre a new extremely attractive joint site came into existance.
Source: Turistični informacijski center Nova Gorica