Characteristic features of the area
The most typical landmarks of the area are the river Trebušica, the sulphur spring, Trebuša bottles and the tourist farm.
The river Trebušica is with its length of 16.45 km the largest affluent of the river Idrijca. The length of all its affluents is 90.05 km. The total length of Trebušica and its affluents is 106.05 km. It springs just below the Bukov vrh peak, at an altitude of 1.125 m and joins Idrijca at an altitude of 183 m. The riverbed is narrow throughout the river course and is carved deeply into the gorge with 200-800 m high, steep and precipitous walls. Because of the steep and uneven terrain the water forms rapids, waterfalls and deep ponds.
Trebušica is a torrent, which means that huge downpours always cause the quantity of water in the river basin to increase, whereby the water level sinks rapidly when it stops raining. Already for many years a fishfarm makes use of this clean water, as well as rich aquatic fauna. Besides the sulphur spring near the riverbed of Trebušica, also the junction of the rivers Trebušica and Idrijca can be counted to characteristic features of this are, because it is extremely rare that an affluent joins the river upstream, at an angle of 180 degrees.
The sulphur spring at the left bank of Trebušica is located just above 30 m from the confluence of the brook in Malni. The water springs from a rocky gap 1.5 m above the Trebušica (when the water level is low). The brook is small and there are white sediments around the spring. The spring hasn’t been geologically explored yet, but it is presumed that sulphuric compounds come into water from the layers of sadra. There are just two sulphur springs in Slovenia.
Access: From the valley of the river Idrijca, across the bridge and then along the valley of the river Trebušica along the road towards Gorenja Trebuša, up to the passing bay opposite the brook in Malni. Along a narrow path we descend towards Trebušica and when the water level is low we can observe the spring and the white area surrounding it. The definitive odour marks the presence of sulphur.
In the past Trebuša was renowned for the typical bottles, made here in Trebuša. The bottles are green and have a distinctive shape, formed of balls heaped into a tower. The bottle is extremely wide at the bottom and narrow on top.
The glass was manufactured in the valley of Trebušica. The first glass-making facility was erected in 1722. The raw material could be found at the river. There was enough flint sand available and also enough wood. The largest glassworks was at Na Melinah. Trebuša bottles were mainly exported to Spain, where they were filled with wine. Enormous quantities of wood were used for the production of glass. Due to lack of wood the original glassworks was later on moved to Mrzla Draga in 1771 and from here to Poldanovec in 1794. The Trebuša glassworks were active more than a hundred years. In 1741 the first glassworks closed and around 1830 the last one was shut down. However, the production of glass in the glassworks contributed substantially to the development of Gorenja Trebuša. It offered many employment possibilities. There were glassblowers needed, as well as their assistants, apprentices, sand carriers, lumbermen, etc. The settelments expanded substantially in that period.
Interesting fact: The container, connected by tubes, was named ‘glo-glo’, because when drinking the liquid moved from one ball into another, making a distinctive sound.
Tourist farm Žerovc
The tourist farm Žerovc is located in the middle of a pristine nature in a peaceful settlement in the Idrija and Cerkno region. From there you can explore many interesting natural sights, barely passable gorges and secluded spots. This tourist farm offers tasty food and drink, accommodation, camping facilities and guided tours of natural sights in the vicinity, as well as excursion to Idrija and Tolmin and their surroundings.