History & culture
Franja partisan hospital
The Franja Partisan hospital is one of the few preserved partisan hospitals. It represents a symbol of Slovene partisan health care and bears witness to incredible humanity and self-sacrifice of the health care and other personnel taking care of the wounded. The complex of the Franja Partisan Hospital is comprised of 14 wooden barracks and several auxiliary facilities. They were gradually built in the narrow, difficult to access Pasica gorge in Dolenji Novaki near Cerkno. The construction lasted from December 1943 to May 1945. The hospital was named after a partisan doctor, Dr. Franja Bojc Bidovec, who shortly after the hospital was established, took on the function of its administrator.
The Franja Partisan Hospital was among the best equipped secret patizan hospitals with an operating room, X-ray, disability ward and even electricity plant. It could admit up to 100 wounded and provided treatment for a total of 578 persons, especially seriously wounded. The hospital also included several dislocated wards for lightly wounded. All wards provided treatment to about 900 wounded of various nationalities.
The Franja Partisan Hospital is a cultural monument of national importance, is entered in UNESCO's Tentative List of World Heritage, and bears the European Heritage Label. After the disastrous flood that occurred in September 2007, the monument has been reconstructed almost in its entirety, and is reopened for visitors from May 2010. Despite the loss of authentic tangible heritage, it has remained a symbol of international alliance and resistance, and above all a precious reminder of humanity, nobleness, and comradeship.
Italian military forts at Zakriž
On top of Križ and at the plateau Klavžarjeva ravana the Italian military underground forts have been well preserved. They are typical of the then border area between Italy and the former Yugoslavia. For several years the local people have put the underground fort situated at a busy location in Zakriž to good use. Every year around Christmas, this location is the venue of the live Christmas nativity scene.
Church of st. Anne
The parish Church of St. Anne was constructed in 1717 and designed by the Slovene architect Gregor Maček in Baroque style. Among the works of art the most important are two altar paintings of Fortunato Bergant and three wooden altars made by the Cerkno artist Jakob Raspet. In 1713 the Tolmin rebellion took place and allegedly the inhabitants of Cerkno did not take part in it, as they were too busy constructing this church. The church is located in the very centre of Cerkno. The entire church has been recently renovated. Traditionally, an entertaining ethnology-related event called Summer in Cerkno is organised on the name-day of St. Anne.
Fun fact: Bone flute
"Divje babe" is a palaeontological archaeological site, a Karst cave in steep rocky slopes above the Indrijca Valley. Many remains of the cave bear were found on this site in addition to the traces of the Ice Age Man, his hearth and stone tools. The most spectacular find was 55,000 years old bone flute, made from the bone of cave bear, in which Neanderthal recessed four holes. Bone flute is the oldest musical instrument found in the world, that is why Šebrelje or Cerkno region is called "the cradle of world music".