Memorial room of Srečko Kosovel
Srečko Kosovel was born on 18 March, 1904, in Sežana, in the building of the old elementary school. Precisely in the room where Kosovel was born, there is now a memorial room. They began to arrange the room in 1972 according to the architect Janez Suhadolc's idea, in cooperation with all still living Kosovel's brothers and sisters, among which Tončka stood out by promoting and advocating Srečko's literary creations and most actively supported the establishment of the memorial room. One of the greatest Slovenian poets is introduced in an almost empty room, along with a voice recording of his songs accompanied by slides which present Karst motifs. On the walls of the room there are his verses, poems, and thoughts. A cubic wooden structure encapsulating the projector in the middle of the room in "constructivist style" emphasizes the design and construction of the room, which try to conjure Kosovel's presence.
Srečko Kosovel was a child of karst soil, pine and juniper. The difficult living conditions in the Karst during the period of the First World War have left him with a deep, dark trace. The sad karst nightingale was able to overcome the premonition of death and express true love for the people, for his home province, and for the entire world. He was a man of exceptional, sparkling spirit, and an eternal optimist. His life path came to an end after a turbulently creative period, when he was only 22 years old. He died in 1926 in Tomaj, where he is buried.
Timetable: MON-FRI 8 - 16. Other day by prior arrangement.
Kosovel's homestead in Tomaj was the home of a famous Slovenian avant-garde poet Srečko Kosovel and his family. It was built by Anton Kosovel in the early twenties. In the house you can admire partially preserved personal belongings and furnishings of the Karst poet and his family.
Every sunday 14 - 16 or by prior arrangement. T: 00386 5 764 21 08
Lipizzaner Museum – Lipikum
Lipizzaner Museum Lipikum is a centre of cultural and tourist offer of the Lipica Stud Farm. It is designed in accordance with modern museological principles and enables visitors to obtain desired information by themselves by means of different interactions. The content connected in any way with the rich history of the stud farm and the Lipizzaner is available for visitors in the museum.
Timetable of stud farm
Reservations are not needed for individual visitors. Information and reservations for groups: T: +386 5 739 1708, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grgur's Ethnological Museum
Grgur's Ethnological Museum is housed in a homestead in Brestovica pri Povirju, where rich material and cultural heritage is exhibited: there are more than five hundred objects that testify of the social status and life in the old times on a typical Karst farm. The collection is partially located in a converted barn, and comprises of various tools for chopping, carpentry and masonry tools, yokes and harnesses, tools for harvesting, mowing and haymaking, dairy, a part of black kitchen, items used when plaiting, dressmaking, shoemaking, etc. It took the owners more than 1600 hours of work to organize the collection. The most peculiar item in the museum is a miniature decorative wooden house.
Viewing by prior arrangement. T: +386 5 734 62 36 or e-mail: email@example.com
Exhibition 'Radio through time', Lokev
The permanent exhibition of radio receivers could be easily defined as a museum because the collector Vlado Skok acquired and restored a number of the receiving apparatuses from all over the world and from all time periods.
You can admire anything from the radio receiving apparatuses, even the crystal detectors, to the sophisticated receivers, which are carefully stowed in a cabinet, radio and turntable, transistor and televisions, almost all still working and well-preserved. Upon arrival we are surprised by an implemented Tesla's idea - a crackling presentation of Tesla's coils.
Viewing by prior arrangement. G: +386 41 338 324
Fun fact: The Fabiani shop
in Lokev is located opposite the Military Museum and is operated continuously from 1869 until 1948. In the museum shop you can observe some of the original inventory and equipment of general stores of the time
, and objects from various parts of Slovenia and abroad.
Millitary museum Tabor, Lokev
In the old part of the village Lokev, near the church of St. Michael, there is a defence tower, which was built in 1485 by the Venetians to serve in defence against the Turks. Later it became a village granary, and during the last twenty years Military Museum operates inside it. It contains the largest private collection in Slovenia. We can see different military equipment, a front office display, and other objects from both wars, equipment from the time of the Illyrian Provinces, and Cossacks uniform. The remains of the Roman warriors’ equipment undoubtedly belong to the oldest exhibits. The museum was awarded 43 plaques and awards; in addition, it is entered in the Guinness Book of Records. The collector Srečko Rože has also finally gained the status of an independent cultural worker.
Timetable: January/February SAT-SUN 10h-12 and 14h-17h. Other months: WED-SUN 9h-12 and 14h-18h. Other day by prior arrangement.
Church of St. Martin, Sežana
The Sežana parish church was built in Renaissance style and is dedicated to the bishop St. Martin, who is known for his advocacy for the poor, and for his modesty.
It was built at the location of the old curacy church which was built in 1509 and stood until 1878, when it was rebuilt and extensions were added. It was a rocky building, covered with slates and paved with stone slabs. The chapel exhibits a marble altar of St. , which has remained in the church until now. The Counts of Petazzi-Schwarzenegg tomb was also located in it.
The choir exhibits an organ with 13 registers. Behind the altar a very well-preserved picture from 1889 can be found. Painted by Miroslav Tomec, it represents St. Martin ascending to heaven, accompanied by two angels. Next to the church there stands the bell tower. Its spire is an octagonal pyramid, which is 30 meters high and was built of white stone in 1794. It is concluded in a characteristical Aquileia style.
Subsidiary church of St. Martin
The Griže village, with quite a few uninhabited houses and only about 50 inhabitants, belongs to the local community of Vrabče. The village is known for old Karst architecture typical of the karst area. As a rare attraction in the eastern part of the village there stands a subsidiary church of St. Martin (412 m altitude).
This is one of the most interesting and the most important cultural and historical churches of the Slovenian Littoral. It used to be all covered with slates, but now they can be found only on the entrance porch and on presbytery. The church has a very old portal. On the lintel of the portal there is an inscription in Latin, from which we learn that it was made in 1613 by Master Gašper Kink from Avber, at a time when Janez Kok performed priestly ministry and the village mayor was Boštjan Mahnič. The church nave was covered with a painted wooden ceiling in 1619, also with a Slovenian inscription, Due to its age and rarity, the ceiling was one of the great cultural and historical treasures. However, the ceiling collapsed, but luckily the said inscription was preserved at least in a photo and in transcription. In 1652 a wall was built around the church and the cemetery. It has a high arched entrance made of stone blocks. The church altar was made in 1710.
Vahta Hill Fort, Kazlje
Ancient fort of extraordinary dimensions, with a double crown of defensive stone trenches that are almost entirely preserved. This is one of the largest and best preserved hill forts with door construction in the Karst region.