There are numerous rural settlements in the Kupa valley that are mostly abandoned or are used solely on the weekends. The most important among them is Razloge, which is one of the most active villages in the Park, and both the Park and the people living there have development plans.
The dominant construction style in settlements within the Park is characterized by so-called montane (“goranske“) houses, mostly built of stone and wood, the two materials locally available. Houses are roofed and partially paneled with wooden shingles or planks. One of the most valuable houses of this type is situated on the Leska Learning Trail.
Source: NP Risnjak
The first recorded scientific visit was made in 1825 by the Budapest botanist Joseph Standler. Many other botanists visited subsequently. The most prominent 19th century explorer of Risnjak was the botanist Josip Schlosser who wrote numerous publications about Risnjak and its flora. The first organized mountaineering visit was mounted by the Rijeka alpine club, and the first mountain refuge in the area was built in 1932.
In 1949 botanist Ivo Horvat suggested for the first time that the area around Risnjak should be protected. On his advice, the parliament of the then Socialist Republic of Croatia declared 36.00 km² around Risnjak to be a national park. In 1956 the area of the park was reduced to 30.14 km², of which 21.06 km² were put under stricter protection. Finally, in 1997, the Croatian parliament voted to enlarge of the park to its current size. The areas of Snježnik and Kupa source were added to the park but also for the first time inhabited areas of villages of Razloge, Razloški okrug and Krašćevica.